Sunday, October 25, 2009

Outlaw Loot in Devil's Canyon

It’s getting close to Halloween so a treasure story about a place called Devil’s canyon seems fitting.

This Devil’s canyon in located in the great state of Oklahoma near the present day Lake Altus.


There is more than one treasure story about this area of the state but the one I am writing about today concerns ninety pounds of gold coins.

Back in 1894 four outlaws were practicing their trade in Texas when they came upon a group of cattlemen who had just sold their herds. The cattlemen were carrying the proceeds of the sale with them when they had the misfortune of running into the four outlaws. They were quickly relieved of their money, all $35,000 of it and the outlaws headed for Oklahoma with their new fortune.

Once in Oklahoma they camped for a few days and mulled over what they were going to do with their individual shares of the gold. As fate would have it, three of the outlaws decided it would be better to have a third each of the gold instead of a fourth each so they plotted to kill the fourth outlaw. Just like on the show Survivor, things took an unexpected twist when outlaw number four figured out the others’ plan and made off with all of the loot.

Number four headed for what is known as Flat Top Mountain and hid his twice stolen gold there. It is thought he hid the gold on Flat Top Mountain but there is the possibility it was just near the mountain and not actually on it.

This fourth outlaw was later captured and sent to prison, I believe for an unrelated crime, where he died sometime in the 1920’s. Before he died he tried to explain to his relatives where he had hidden the gold. The family made several attempts to find the gold but were unsuccessful in their searching.

So to recap, there is ninety pounds of gold coins buried on or near Flat Top Mountain which is on the Side of Devil’s Canyon just a few miles from present day Lake Altus. Doing some quick math, the ninety pounds of gold at today’s prices should be worth a little over one million dollars. That sounds like it would be worth looking for!

Did I mention this may be located in a state park? Check the rules before you go!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devils Canyon and Flattop Mountain are actually part of my families land and private property - Ran across this just doing some research and thought I would pass that along so no one would waste a trip down to the middle of no where to hunt for "treasure"! :) Thanks

Anonymous said...

what a shame history is stolen from land owners not willing to even take money for hikes and history lessons on our great area full of history no one will ever know. My children would love to hike and let someone tell them of the rach history of the SW oklahoma where they were born.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if that family ever visits the State Parks lands in that area..Hope they keep out..Greed seems to run in the family....

Anonymous said...

the actual canyon is quartz mtn state park owned but to get to the canyon you have to travel through private property

Anonymous said...

only about 10 percent is state property 90 percent is private ownership

Anonymous said...

Planning a trip there. Metal detectors legal in okla state parks?

Anonymous said...

Devils Canyon is not a part of any persons land. It is government owned.
Anyone that claims to have ownership of Devils Canyon is down right lying. Most of the land surrounding Devils Canyon is owned by one family. I go out there all the time and I have been for over 10 years and there is not anything a "Winters" can say or do about it.

Anonymous said...

Lol u r stupid.. it is all owned by one family and on the north end of it is state property but u have to go thru winters property to get there.. I'm a good friend of the family and go fishong all the time out there.. I know everthing they know... even about the indian burial pit they found

Anonymous said...

My name is Josh Drake, and the 4th robber is my great uncle Bob Herron. I am the only person that knows the complete story of the $35000 and where it is buried. My father met Bob Herron in Prison in Tx before he died, and I have been in devils canyon since I was 2, I am now 53. The center of the Canyon is State Park, all around is private. In the 1500's Spaniards where pulling gold and silver from mines, I have seen the foundation of fort. Great History there.

okie treasure hunter said...

Josh,

I'd like to visit with you sometime if you don't mind. You can email me at okietreasurehunter@msn.com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Message for Josh Drake. I would be interested in partnering with you in a search - done legally with permission of any land ownders. I think a magnetometer search from a low flying ultra-light aircraft could locate it. Emal me at - sales@sosstandbyserver.com

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that a trip to the county court house to check the records would solve who owns what.
Facts talk B.S. walks.....

Anonymous said...

My family is from that area too and my uncle knows the Winter family,and I believe my stepmothers first husband was a member of there family we kept our horses out there in the 60's. You can access it by boat up the river without getting on the Winters property if needed. My Grandfather Padgett took us there as kids to look around I have fond memories of Blair/Warren and lake Lugert as a kid were planning on medtal detecting around the old town since the water is low too. Also we have members of our family that still the orginal homstead on the N fork of the Red River.