Monday, January 14, 2008

Livestock Brands

Many times while searching in the field you may come across carvings that look like they are treasure related. Countless hours can be spent researching and working these carvings without any results. This could be due to the fact that the carving was nothing more than a livestock brand some bored cowboy carved into rock or sandstone. The area in which I live was used for grazing by Texas ranchers during the 19th century. I have seen their brands used to mark the sections of land they claimed for grazing. This was a free grazing area with few fences up until the time it was opened for settlement. Oklahoma and Texas both had a number of cattle trails crossing through the states as well.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about I would recommend you visit any number of websites that picture livestock brands from the 1800's. There are a few books that cover this subject as well. I'll include a link that shows some of the brands from a county in Texas. I hope that this small hint will save you time out in the field. http://www.rootsweb.com/~txpresid/brands.html

No comments: