Thursday, December 9, 2010

Moffat Gold Coins Buried



On May 11, 1865, at the close of the Civil War, a group of men traveling towards the war torn south stopped along Cow Creek in what is now Oklahoma. Weary of their long journey and concerned that their contraband cargo would be discovered by the occupying Federal troops they decided to bury their ill gotten loot before leaving Indian Territory.

Near Cottonwood tank, twenty miles north of the Red River, they put $50,000 in a dinner pot and buried it 150 feet west of a big rock marked MYS. Another $160,000 was buried in other locations nearby, but the big  prize are the 400 gold bars made by Moffat & Co. The collectors price on these today would far exceed the price of their gold content.

Since I am still hunting this treasure myself, I won't give you a full account of the details concerning this story, but there are lead plates with inscribed instructions and a bit of mystery concerning their final resting place. Hopefully someday soon I can write the complete story for our readers to enjoy. Until then good luck and good hunting!

1 comment:

Jason said...

WOW I was just thinking about this one myself the other day. I was actually gonna do a post of one about one similar to it that I have often thought was the same story just retold.