Saturday, December 15, 2007

Kansas Map


I am going to explain the map I refer to as the I Left Kansas Map (shown below). Many of you have seen this map published in Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales, but never this clean of a copy. There are a few parts I won't divulge, but I will give you most of the code. This is a fairly simple map to decode once you get the hang of it. Proberod I know you disagree with the location of where this map goes, but here I go anyways.

It starts out saying I left Kansas carrying $74,000 and three bags of gold dust. Chief Wild Horse warned us that the US Cavalry were patroling the Wichita Mountains so we camped west of SM at kitchen. ..... ... ... 3 rock or rock with three marks on it ..... near spring covered( cow jumping over) my spoon. In top of.... SM ... .... and drew (man drawing gun) at (arrow noted on top of hill) a pistol pointing south. (Here it shows one creek coming into another as shown on map and there's an x to the right of one creek) Between x and spring (face) ... .... .. ... .... JJ. Some of you out there will come up with the parts of the map I left out and some may already have figured this map out.

The gun they drew at the top of the hill actually pointed southwest to their campsite that I refered to as the kitchen. It's marked by the double J's along the trail near the creek. This can be found to the right of the hill with the arrow. Here you will also find three slash marks and an R, an X, and the word Spring. All of these things can be found in the code. What was found between the X and the spring? It was the rock map with the face profile also found pictured in Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales. This is why the face is pictured in the code.

Chief Wild Horse was a Comanche sub-chief and can be found mentioned in the Carbine and Lance written by Col. Nye. Upon close inspection of the flags in the code you will find crossed sabers denoting the cavalry and the pan or pot next to them gives you the word patroling. The author of this map was clever and this is shown by the use of a knee and ear to give you the word near. The gold dust was taken in a Kansas robbery by the James gang and can be researched to give you an idea of when this map was drawn.

This map goes to the same location as the bucket code. The line of dots that go to the east of the lone hill is the same trail line that is mentioned in the bucket code. How's that for a teaser? Do see how some maps fit together and confirm what the other says?

The pistol on top of the hill is still there. It's been carved into a biplane. The rock map with the face was removed by Joe Hunter and I have no idea of where it ended up. Somebody out there should know though. The rest of the story I'm not at liberty to say.
I hope you enjoy this post. I will be slowing down posting, as I will be busy through the rest of the holiday season. I have invited several others to join in posting on the blog, so we may see some interesting things ahead.

No comments: